Wednesday, January 17, 2018

You are allowed to make mistakes (Week 3, Day 3)


Visiting state parks is a huge treat for my kids. There is so much to discover. The biggest attraction at one of the parks in our area is the huge number of frogs. Even my 3-year-old, Mercy, managed to catch several on our last outing. But she proudly held her treasures a bit too tightly. Big sister reported the tragedy to me. Desiring to comfort Mercy and teach her how to hold frogs more gently, I started walking towards my youngest girl. Sadly, when she saw me approaching, Mercy ran away with her hands covering her ears. At first I was puzzled to see her flee; then I realized that this is exactly how I respond to God when I feel the pangs of guilt. I run away from Him, my source of comfort, too ashamed about what I have done. Watching my daughter vividly portray a picture of my reaction to my Heavenly Father birthed a desire in me to learn to run to Him, not away from Him.

God the Father is neither harsh nor overbearing. Hear his heart toward you in the following Bible verse: "I led them with cords of kindness, with the band of love, and I became to them as one who eases the yoke of their jaw, and bent down to them and fed them.” (Hosea 11:4)

It would never enter a loving father's mind to explode in anger when his child makes a common mistake; neither would he harshly criticize his toddler for falling while learning to walk. He encourages him to get up and try again. In the same way, your Heavenly Father is cheering from the sidelines, speaking encouragement.

·       Look up John 3:17. What does it tell you about God the Father?

                                                                                                                  

                                                                                                                   

                                                                                                                    

Knowing that the Father loves us in the midst of our failures prevents us from getting on the emotional rollercoaster of, "He loves me, He loves me not." We can run to Him, no matter what.


No comments:

Post a Comment