Tuesday, January 16, 2018

I do not hold anything against you! (Week 3, Day 2)

"I have shot Christians at their baptism. I have done a lot of things that I am ashamed to admit. I try to do a lot of good things, but I am just not sure whether they outweigh the bad." Mohammed, affectionately known by my family as Uncle Mogli, grew up in rural Egypt. Having suffered under the stigma of being a member of the only family in town who had been abandoned by their father, Mogli was easily lured into an Islamic terrorist group. Here he enjoyed the respect and camaraderie he had had longed for. But these glory days were short lived, as Mogli ended up being arrested and sent to prison, which gave him ample time to re-evaluate his life. Truly regretting his terrorist actions, Mohammed fled the country to start over. But the past would not let go of him. Sitting in our living room with my husband, J., Mogli began pouring out his heart. "How can I ever do enough good to still make it to heaven?" he lamented.

"You never will, and you don’t have to," J. explained. "Jesus did it instead of you. When He died on the cross, He took the punishment for all you have done. When you accept what Christ has done for you, God looks at you as if you had lived a perfect life. The Bible says, 'He remembers your sin no more' (Heb. 8:12). Through Christ we have forgiveness. You can receive His forgiveness today by confessing your sins and accepting that Jesus has paid the price for you. You can come before the Father without shame, knowing that when you confessed your sins, they were taken away. Whenever he looks on us He sees the righteousness of Christ.”                                                                 
"I love that Jesus!" Mohammed shouted.

I love that Jesus, too!

·       Read 1 John 1:8-9. What is God revealing to you?

                                                                                                                           

                                                                                                                           

Would you like to know the Father's forgiveness? You can receive it today by praying, "Father, I know that I can never be good enough. I am a sinner and deserve Your wrath. Thank you for sending Jesus to die in my place. I accept His sacrifice for me, setting me free from the debt I owe and clothing me with His righteousness. Please be the Lord of my life."

·       Tell your small group leader or a friend if you have made this commitment.

Ideally the blessing of forgiveness and every other blessing would come both from our earthly father and from our Father in heaven, but some of us will never receive the desired blessing from our father. This is one of the deepest wounds a child can suffer. It is natural to feel anger and resentment for what should have been, but a heart that is hard toward an earthly father makes it nearly impossible to receive a blessing from God the Father. Forgiveness is the spiritual atmosphere He wants you to live in. Stewing in resentment means remaining in the paralyzing grip of shame and regret. "The choice to remain in unforgiveness is a choice by which we are separating ourselves from the merciful love of the Father. In doing so, we are choosing to remain orphans." (Abba's Heart by Neal Lozano, Baker Publishing Group, 2010, pg. 171)

·       Why is God asking you to forgive in Matthew 6:14-15? 

                                                                                                                        

                                                                                                                        

Forgiveness is an act of the will, not a feeling, trusting in God to change our hearts. Continue to forgive until you are sincerely able to ask God to bless your father. It is possible. I know, because God is doing this in me.

·       Be specific when you speak out forgiveness. Rather than saying, "I forgive my father," say, "I forgive my father for his harshness" …or "I forgive my father for abandoning me," etc. This helps you release and forgive each offense. It might be helpful to do this in writing below:

                                                                                                                        

                                                                                                                        

                                                                                                                        


Having taken this step of forgiveness does not necessitate that you put yourself in a situation where further abuse is possible. Maintaining boundaries is important to prevent further abuse. Forgiving our Mothers and Fathers by Fields and Hubbard provides much helpful advice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment