Saturday, January 27, 2018

I trust you with my deep thoughts. (Week 4, Day 4)


"Bene, bene! Speak to me!" This was the famous saying of the Egyptian waiter at my favorite Italian hang-out when I lived in Aberdeen, Scotland. Ahmed liked saying this phrase so much, in fact, that it was even printed on every menu. Unfortunately, he was equally infamous for never taking the time to listen. He would utter his phrase in a generous, almost pompous manner, and then walk off, satisfied with himself for having asked, even though he never waited for a response. Great food, though!

I must confess, my dealings with God are often very similar. I ask God to speak to me, and then I walk off, assuming I have done my part and God has nothing specific to say to me that day.

Let us rethink that for a moment. If Jesus is called The Word (John 1:1), is it not highly plausible that He wants to speak to us? In fact, all throughout the Bible, God has shown us that His desire to be heard by us is even greater than our desire to listen. He is asking for people to stand in His counsel so they should hear His word (Jer. 23:18), and He reveals His plans before they come to pass (Amos 3:7). But God sadly also recognizes that the ears He has made are often not being used for hearing Him (Ezek. 12:2). God's main motivation is not the transfer of information, but a calling towards deeper intimacy with him.

·       What is He promising believers in Rev. 3:20?

                                                                                                   

                                                                                                    

 God, the Maker of the entire universe, seeks us out to share His secrets with us (Ps. 24:14). He wants us to listen for Him because He wants to have fellowship with us. What an incredible gift!

Knowing that God desires to speak, let us ask, like the Egyptian waiter, "Speak to me!" But instead of rushing on, let us echo Habakkuk: "I will stand on my post and station myself on the rampart; and keep watch to see what he will speak to me. (Hab. 2:1)

It is worth the wait!
·       Ask your heavenly Father to speak to you and use the lines below to write down anything that you sense Him saying.

                                                                                                     

                                                                                                     

                                                                                                     

                                                                                                     

                                                                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment