Thursday, October 29, 2015

Cling to the Lord!

"Kerstin, you would not pass for a blind person in a million years!" This was my friend, Christopher, talking. In spite of his blindness, he was determined to live a normal life. He attended regular high-school, went swimming with us, in the lakes around Berlin, and was the drummer in a jazz-band. He adapted amazingly, but his steps were uncertain, always walking in complete darkness. The day I borrowed his cane and confidently walked down the sidewalk with my eyes tightly shut, he heard by the rapidity of my steps, that I knew where I was going. I had seen the path only seconds earlier.

As believers, we sometimes feel as if we were walking in darkness. We don't understand what God is doing and he feels far from us. I am not talking about a separation caused by sin, but a feeling of distance from God, sometimes accompanying a traumatic experience, exhaustion, or without explicable cause. God wants to use this time to mature us in our faith. We are given the choice to either grope around uncertainly in the darkness, believing the lie, that there is no hope, and that God does not care - or we can cling to God by standing on his truth. These are some verses, which are helpful to remember in this situation:

"The Lord is good!" (Nah. 1:7))
"I, the Lord do not change." (Mal.3:6)
"I will never leave you, nor forsake you." (Heb. 13:6)
"The Lord will guide you continually." (Is. 58:11a)
"For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jer. 29:11)
"His plans cannot be thwarted." (Job 42:2)

This is where our walk can be different, because, in spite of the darkness, we have a clear picture of where we are headed. Let us not be mistaken for a blind person in a million years!

"Let the one who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on their God." (Is. 50:10b)

No comments:

Post a Comment