Saturday, January 23, 2016

How big is God?

"How big is God?" Hanna just had to know. Being tall compared to other four-year-olds, my daughter wanted to hear how she compared to God's stature. "God is a spirit, he does not have a body like we do," I tried to explain. "Of course - " Hanna exclaimed understandingly, remembering how I had recently praised her for drawing people with full bodies, "he only has a head and feet!" In her mind this was settled and she felt no need to discuss this any further. Three days later she was ready to breach the subject again, revealing that this new concept was becoming established in her mind: "Mama, why does God not have a belly?" Now it seemed even harder for Hanna to grasp the truth.

Aren't we just like that? We find comfort in having our world neatly categorized and continue to entertain thoughts, even when they turn out to be misconceptions. The longer we cling to these false concepts, the harder it is for us to change our way of thinking.

For me, the false belief that God's love was conditional was one of those misconceptions I found hard to let go of. For such a long time I had focused on all the things I thought I had to do to please God, that I had to be reminded of the truth many times for it to finally sink in.

Maybe you have felt overwhelmed at times, thinking of all the things you need to do for God. Perhaps you struggle with the thought that God can't possibly love you just the way you are. Today I would like to remind you of all the things God has already done for you.

You foreknew me. (Rom 8:29)
You predestined me. (Rom 8:29)
You knit me together in my mother's womb. (Ps.139:13)
You know my thoughts. (Ps. 139:2)
You are acquainted with all my ways. (Ps 139:3)
You chose me. (Is.41:6)
You have called me your treasured possession. (Dt. 7:6)
You have engraved my name in the palm of your hand. (Is 39:16)
You desire me. (Songs 7:10)
You draw me with chords of loving-kindness. (Hos. 11:4)
You redeemed me. (Is.43:1)
You raised me from the dead. (Col 2:12)
You gave me new life. (Col 2:13)
You saved me. (Is. 43:1)
You forgave me. (Col. 2:13)
You released me from the law. (Rom 7:6)
You cancelled the record of debt that stood against me. (Col 2:14)
You blot out all my transgressions. (Is. 43:25)
You washed me. (1Cor. 6:11)
You justified me. (1Cor 6:11)
You see no flaw in me. (Songs 4:7)
You call me beautiful. (Songs 4:7)
You adopted me. (Eph. 1:5)
You filled me. (Col. 2:10)
You sealed me as your own. (Eph. 1:13)
You indwell me with your Spirit. (Rom 8:9)
You have made me your heir and co-heir with Christ. (Rom. 8:17)
You have given me an inheritance. (Eph. 1:11)
You have lavished the riches of your grace upon me. (Eph 1:7)
You circumcised my heart. (Col 2:11)
You restore my soul. (Ps. 23:3)
You sanctified me. (1Cor 6:11)
You glorified me. (Rom 8:30)
You change me with ever increasing glory. (2Cor. 3:18)
You rejoice over me with gladness. (Zeph. 3:17)
You quiet me by your love. (Zeph. 3:17)
You exult over me with loud singing. (Zeph. 3:17)
You hem me in, behind and before. (Ps. 139:5)
You lay your hand upon me. (Ps 139:5)
No-one can deliver me from your hand. (Is. 43:13)
Nothing can separate me from your love. (Rom 8:39)
You see me as precious. (Is. 43:4)
You take thought for me. (Ps 40:17)
You hear me when I call. (1 John 5:14)
You long to show me compassion. (Is. 30:18)
You sympathize with my weakness. (Hebr. 4:15)
You catch each tear that falls. (Ps. 56:12)
You removed the veil from my eyes. (2. Cor. 3:17)
You have made known to me the mystery of your will. (Eph. 1:9)
You prepared in advance the work for me to do. (Eph. 2:10)

That is how big our God is!

1 comment:

  1. I am printing this and hanging it - maybe in a mirror where I am the most critical of myself as a soul quenching reminder of my identity. Thank you for the effort you took to write those scriptures.

    ReplyDelete